Director of Engineering
Brands everywhere are beginning to understand the power of live video commerce to enable them to connect with shoppers across digital platforms, and around the globe. Axonista’s mission is to build this video-first future of commerce for the world's most forward-thinking brands, and secure a leadership position in this exciting new market segment.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to join us on this journey, leading and shaping our engineering team of 20+, and helping us to ship great products that our customers love.
The Value You’ll Deliver
As an organisation, we strive to be tightly aligned and loosely coupled. This means that we spend time and energy getting aligned on strategy, which enables teams to operate at pace, and with confidence in their decision-making.
As Director of Engineering, you will have overall responsibility for Axonista’s Engineering operations, from establishing alignment on strategy, to prioritising and overseeing the delivery of technology projects, developing processes that support teams to do their best work, and shipping high-quality product, at pace.
You’ll make strategic technology decisions that deliver business value in alignment with overall company and product strategy. You’ll manage technology vendor relationships, and lead vendor selection.
You’re a natural, forward-thinking leader, with an ability to empower and motivate teams to deliver high performance, while holding them accountable for their responsibilities. You’ll foster a culture of learning and collaboration, encouraging team members to continually level up their skills.
You’ll join Axonista’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT), where you will represent Engineering in the company’s strategic decision making.
Role and Responsibilities
Reporting to the CTO, the Director of Engineering is responsible for leading Axonista's Engineering teams to achieve the company's goals, as well as day to day management of Engineering operations and the design and implementation of processes in collaboration with the rest of the SLT.
- Set and evolve the strategy for Engineering in line with company strategy
- Prepare and effectively manage the Engineering department’s budget
- Work with Axonista's Product Managers to align on "build the right thing", and lead the Engineering team to "build the thing right"
- Articulate strategy in a way that enables engineers to make great decisions and understand the value of everything they do
- Build a high-performance culture that rewards results, and is optimised for shipping and maintaining high quality software
- Plan and oversee strategic Engineering initiatives from ideation to execution, identifying value and impact, and setting goals and timelines
- Ensure that Axonista's technology platform and toolset meets high standards for security, compliance, stability, performance, scale, and flexibility, and that it provides an excellent Developer Experience for engineers that use it
- Review and continually improve Engineering processes for minimal friction
- Hire great engineers and help to guide their career and skills development
- Manage relationships with key technology partners and vendors
- Report on engineering activities and accomplishments, and collaborate on solving issues, with the senior leadership team
Skills You’ll Bring
You will be working with a team that is inventing the future of video commerce and interactive storytelling. Ideally, you will bring the following:
- 5+ years experience in Engineering Management, leading teams and collaborating across functions to effectively deliver modern cloud products
- An innate ability to establish and maintain alignment on strategy across stakeholders, and convert strategy to action
- Ideally, a deep understanding of the AWS ecosystem, along with best practices and processes used to deliver modern internet-scale platforms
- Ability to foster a high-performance engineering culture, with an appreciation for the value of high quality documentation, process, and supportability
- Excellent and persuasive communication skills, with an ability to rally and inspire teams to solve hard problems and meet the challenges of delivering a world-class product
- Strong desire to continually learn and improve your own skills, and those of your team through training programmes and mentorship
- A deep appreciation for the value of design in modern technology products
- Thrive in a fast-moving environment, and work effectively as part of a fully remote team
- Excellent project management and documentation skills
For Bonus Points
Experience with any of the following is an advantage:
- B2B2C platforms and consumer-facing apps
- Video technologies, low latency livestreaming, and players
- Building content management systems
- Experience with leading ecommerce platforms
- Working with teams that build native mobile or TV apps
- Avid consumer of video, online shopper, or fan of stories and storytellers :-)
Axonista is operating a fully remote team. This is a remote (working from home) position, located in Ireland. Your colleagues will be based in Ireland, and across Europe.